Comic-Con International: San Diego is an exciting multi-genre convention, and an estimated 130,000 people flock to it every year. Come to Comic-Con for the most iconic experience ever in the world of comic conventions. See special guests who are comic creators, science fiction and fantasy authors, film and television directors, producers, writers, book publishers and creators of the popular arts. You can also have a lot of fun getting to know other fans.
When and Where
The 2017 Comic-Con International: San Diego takes place on Thursday July 20 and ends on Sunday, July 23 with a preview night to check out the exhibit hall on Wednesday, July 19.
It’s happening at the San Diego Convention Center in downtown San Diego at 111 W. Harbor Drive along San Diego Bay.
During the 1930’s in the United States, comic books or comics became popular as a story-telling device. Their cartoon characters, pictured in scenes with balloons (speech bubbles) showing their dialogue, delighted people of all ages during the tough economic times of the Great Depression. Superheroes like Superman, Spider Man and the Green Marvel made their debut, becoming part of pop culture. They lifted Americans spirits and provided an appealing fantasy when it was greatly needed.
The Comic-Con convention founders held the first actual convention in 1970, and 300 people attended. It originally attracted comic books, science fiction/fantasy related film, television and popular arts professionals.
Since that time, the convention has evolved, mushroomed into a multi-million dollar event and expanded to include multi-genre entertainment industry professionals and audiences. To give you an idea, the genres are broad, including: animation, anime (Japanese film and TV animation), horror, toys, video games webcomics, and fantasy novels — which are extensively portrayed in feature films and television series. Today’s Comic-Con takes the concept of “comic convention” to a whole new level.
Movies and Television Shows with a Presence at Comic-Con
According to Digital Spy, some big names in movies that will have a presence and present footage most likely include:
Avengers: Infinity War
From DC Comics
The Last Jedi
Marvel: Agents of Shield
Jessica Jones Season 2
Legends of Tomorrow
Game of Thrones
The Walking Dead
Enjoy the Convention Experience
What is there to do at the event? Here’s a list the conventions’ main highlights:
- Exhibit Hall. Visit the enormous hall that’s over 460,000 square feet. Exhibitors display comics, action figures, artwork, cartoons, music, books, art materials and a variety of merchandise.
- Massive programming schedule. The 2017 schedule is still being put together, but to give you an idea of what to expect, the programming schedule included close to 700 separate events in 2014.
- Workshops along with education and academic programming. This includes the Comics Arts Conference, anime and film screenings along with a separate film festival.
- Awards. Awards include the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards — the “Oscars” of the comics industry, and a Masquerade costume competition with prizes and trophies.
- Other attractions. Other attractions include games, an Autograph Area, an Art Show and Portfolio Review.
US Coachways Can Help You Navigate the Crowds and Convention
Hopefully by now, you’ve already bought your convention badges and made hotel reservations. But navigating San Diego traffic during this convention can be a nightmare, and you should take the time to plan ahead for safe transportation. US Coachways is glad to help you out. Traveling in a group is the most sensible way to go, and with a professional at the wheel you don’t have to struggle with directions, parking and all arriving at the same time.
Give yourself a break so you can enjoy the convention. Here are some reasons to choose us for your travel arrangements:
- Safety. Bus charters are the safest form of ground transportation in the nation and professional drivers are well trained to navigate in heavy traffic.
- Security. Any items you store on the bus remain secure.
- Convenience. You can keep your group together and don’t have to worry about delays or last minute cancellations.
- Green travel. Traveling by motorcoach is the greenest way to travel. Its carbon footprint even beats hybrid cars.
- Affordable transport. You can save expenses on gas and parking. Plus, you’ll find our rates are very reasonable.
- Arrive in style. If you’re decked out in a comic costume and want to make a grand entrance, we have limos and party buses you can reserve for travel. Splurge and enjoy the luxury of plush seats, a crystal bar and fiber-optic lighting.
Reserve Your Charter Today
Booking online is fast and easy. But if you need answers to your questions or want to check out discounts, call 1-888-340-9122. We can help you reserve your vehicle today.