Why Charter Buses Are a Better Option than Private Ride-for-Hire Vehicles
Whether you’re hosting and organizing a big event with many participants, or sending a group to a conference, convention or other outing, ground transportation is crucial. The rest of the trip can go without a hitch, but people will always remember the challenges they had getting there and back, and getting around.
With all of the perceived convenience of smartphones, apps and digital media, you may be inclined to simply let everyone handle their own transportation, using Uber, Lyft or one of the other ride share providers. Here’s why a charter bus from US Coachways makes more sense:
- Safety and security—With a charter bus, you’ll have a professional driver behind the wheel at all times, someone with regular and extensive training. In addition, your driver must submit to a rigorous background check and maintain a clean driving record. Most ride share operators have minimal training. The background checks for ride-share drivers can vary significantly from one city to the next. Uber does not require a driving test or a drug test to provide ride-share s services. Neither Uber nor Lyft have the capability to monitor driving records in real-time—they typically only discover new traffic citations if a customer complains or if they are upgrading their records.
- Vehicle maintenance you can trust—With a charter bus, maintenance of the vehicle is a regular part of the business model. In fact, charter bus operators are regulated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and must undergo regular and systematic inspections and keep accurate maintenance logs. With an Uber or Lyft vehicle, drivers must pass a state or ride-share company inspection when signing up. However, vehicles are not subject to any ongoing inspections and drivers are not required to keep any maintenance logs.
- Comfort and cleanliness—On a charter bus, you relax in roomy seats, and you’ll know that everything will be pristine. With a ride-share from Uber or Lyft, it can be a roll of the dice. You may end up in the backseat of a Mini-Cooper or a Honda Fit. You’ll often be someone’s family car, with empty food wrappers and other refuse on the floors or even on the seats. A charter bus offers more leg room than any other mode of travel—there’s no automobile backseat that comes close.
- Confidence that you’re covered—The last thing you want to think about is being involved in an accident, but it happens. In fact, a joint study by the University of Chicago and Rice University found that ride-sharing services have led to a 2-3% increase in traffic fatalities across the United States in the last eight years. Charter buses, on the other hand, consistently have one of the lowest accident rates of any mode of transportation. If you’re hurt in a ride-share accident, you may or may not be responsible for paying your own medical bills. That’s because the driver may have personal coverage, but not a commercial policy. It’s even possible that you’ll get into a vehicle with a driver who’s insurance has lapsed. With a charter bus, you know you’ll have a commercial motor vehicle insurance policy to protect you.
- A mode of transportation better suited to group travel—Charter buses offer advantages over ride-sharing when you’re moving groups of people. First, you’ll have fewer vehicles going in and out of the different venues, so you’ll have less congestion. Charter buses let you use the travel time productively, too, as you can hold group meetings, give last minute instructions or create opportunities for building camaraderie or breaking the ice. When you use a charter bus, you can expect that your driver knows exactly where you need to go and how to get there—it’s usually all been mapped out in advance. With a ride-share, you may travel with a relatively inexperienced driver who’s using GPS to navigate on the fly.
- A charter bus is far more environmentally friendly than a ride share—Which is better for the environment—a couple charter buses or a sea of private ride-share vehicles? With a charter bus rental, you can dramatically reduce emissions, helping the planet.
Other Great Reasons to Travel by Charter Bus
A charter bus is hands down the preferred way to handle the transportation needs of any group:
- It’s the most dependable way to get there and back—With most other modes of travel, delays and cancellations are commonplace. Consider air travel, where as many as 800,000 people arrive late at a destination every day. That doesn’t happen with a charter bus.
- There’s no mode of transportation that offers the flexibility of a charter bus—With a charter bus, you tell us when you want to travel, where you want to go, when you want to be there and how long you want to stay. We will handle all the details. In many instances, we can make last-minute or real-time changes to your itinerary or even book entire trips with little advance notice.
- It’s the most stress-free way to travel—With other forms of group travel, someone from the group has to be in charge, monitoring the GPS, looking for parking or making certain you arrive on time. On a charter bus, everyone can relax while the driver handles all those details.
- You won’t have a lot of the hassle—With a charter bus, you’ll ride on the same coach for your entire trip, and your luggage will travel with you—no missed connections or lost bags. There’s no TSA security line or checkpoint and you won’t have to put your devices on “bus mode.”
- The charter bus can serve many purposes—Your bus is a perfect place for a meeting, whether you’re prepping employees, giving last-minute instructions, or leading family members in a sing-along. It can also provide a quiet place for much-needed down time in the middle of a busy trip.
- You can take advantage of the HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes, so that you don’t spend a lot of time in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
- Charter buses are one of the most affordable forms of group travel—On a charter bus, you’ll share many of the costs of getting there and back. That makes charter bus travel consistently one of the most cost-effective ways to go.
At US Coachways, we bring more than 30 years of experience in the charter bus industry to groups and group leaders across the United States. When you work with us, you’ll have your own dedicated service team, so that you have a single point of contact at all times. You’ll have access to the US Coachways trip management portal, where you can find data on all your trips in one place. We offer professional dispatch services 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We also have the local market knowledge and purchasing power that comes from booking an average of $55 million in charter bus rentals every year.
To get a free estimate on the cost of a charter bus rental, visit our online cost calculator. For more information about the full range of services we offer, call 1-855-287-2427 to speak with an experienced customer service agent.
We’ll Help You Find the Ideal Coach for Your Group
One of the best reasons to choose charter for your ground transportation needs—the options that will be available to you. When you book with US Coachways, we’ll take a close look at the details of your trip—how many people are going, how long you’ll be on the road, what you’ll need to bring or take home with you, and whether any of your guests have special needs. Then we’ll go to our vast network of charter bus service providers to find the right coach for your group and your needs.
For small-to-midsized groups, the mini-bus is a great fit, seating 24 to 35 comfortably. There’s also ample room for your personal items. For larger groups, the full-sized bus is a great option, with accommodations for up to 57. Multiple bus rentals are available.
You can expect basic modern amenities on most buses, including Wifi, DVD players, stereos and PA systems, climate control and charging stations for your devices. Additional features, such as on-board bathrooms, are available on some coaches. Check with your booking agent.
A Charter Bus—The Smart Choice for Any Occasion
The many attractive aspects of charter bus travel that make it stand head and shoulders above ride shares also make it an excellent option for other events or types of travel:
- Senior trips—Trips to museums, casinos, concerts, shopping destinations and fall color tours
- Family affairs—Weddings, engagement parties, rehearsal dinners, graduation parties, bar and bat mitzvahs, reunions, birthday, anniversary and retirement celebrations
- Business and corporate travel—Conventions, conferences, seminars, training sessions, team-building events, golf outings or company parties
- School events—Athletic team travel, prom and graduation after-parties, class and club trips, and arts and cultural offerings
- Church travel—Mission trips, community volunteer work, choir tours and youth group outings
- Special events—Stadium concerts, professional and college sports, auto races, festivals, Broadway shows and public rallies
Book Your Charter Bus Today
At US Coachways, we have been leaders in ground transportation services for more than 30 years, working with groups and group leaders throughout the country. To find out the cost of charter bus services for any type of trip or event, go to our easy-to-use online cost calculator. For answers to questions about charter buses or ground transportation, or to learn more about the full range of services we offer, call 1-855-287-2427 to speak to an experienced travel consultant.