A Tour around Bloomington IL in a Charter Bus worth Remembering
Experience Bloomington’s Unique History, Local Landmarks and Unique Retail Outlets
Between the municipalities of Bloomington and Normal Illinois, the former is the slightly bigger and more populous of the two. Bloomington, therefore, is considered the 12th most populated city in the state of Illinois. Although back in the 1900s, the city was merely an agriculture land connected via highways and railroads, the insurance industry brought the city of Bloomington IL from being a sleepy town to what it is today. It went on to a bloom in population and following that, an introduction of new malls, retail outlets, cinemas, parks, restaurants and popular cafes.
The city has lots to offer in terms of historical attractions, family-friendly recreational facilities and art centers. Visitors can bring their kids to the small but cozy Grady’s Family Fun Park for a whole day of fun, take fantastic pictures with family and friends at Vrooman Mansion, and learn up about the city’s history at David Davis Mansion State Historic Site and Illinois’ educational attraction in the form of McLean County Museum of History.
Getting around from one historical landmark to another can be tiresome especially for visitors traveling in a group. And if you have a group event like a wedding reception, company dinner, corporate function, exhibition, business meeting, bachelor or bachelorette party, birthday or anniversary celebration, head over to our website to find out how US Coachways can provide you with the right charter bus, coach charter, bus for rent, mini bus, school bus, party bus, limousine or other exotic vehicles suitable for your event.
Attractions in Bloomington that Far Exceeds Visitors’ Expectations
It is not hard trying to finding the right place to experience the best food, shopping spree and art gallery tour in downtown Bloomington IL. Here, we have outlined several points of interest that visitors might consider adding to their itinerary.
- Entertainment & Amusement Parks — Grady’s Family Fun Park offer some great family-friendly rides like Jr. Ferris Wheel, Motorcycle Jump, Super Fun Slide, Western Train, Red Baron Airplane, Merry-go-Round, Dragon Wagon, Jumping Star, Tea cup ride and Family Himalaya. Less than 10 minutes drive away from downtown Bloomington is Children’s Discovery Museum in neighboring community, Normal IL. Be sure to make the drive there and let the kids unleash their curiosity.
- Art & Cultural — Lincoln Oak Memorial on E. Jackson Street makes for a great backdrop for photos. We have all seen it in pictures, magazines and books, the grand photo of President Lincoln giving a speech under a huge oak tree which happened circa 1850s. The oak tree served as a backdrop for, not just President Lincoln but also Stephen A. Doubles between 1855 and 1860 during his many public speeches. Later in 1869, Vrooman Mansion was built near the main oak tree. Vrooman Mansion is a 32 foot by 32 foot property overlooking the oak. Visitors can get to learn more about these sites by reading plaques placed around the landmark. Art lovers, do not miss the chance to visit Bloomington’s McLean County Arts Center on N. East Street. They are partners with associations like the Illinois Arts Council Agency, Arts Alliance Illinois, North American Reciprocal Museum Association and Americans for the Arts. Other prominent art galleries in Bloomington include Inside Out: Accessible Art Gallery, Main Gallery 404 Inc and University Galleries.
- Restaurant & Shopping — For a bit of shopping therapy, we recommend heading out to Eastland Mall, an enclosed shopping mall boasting of many large chain stores, retail outlets, restaurants and cafes. Take your pick from the countless tenants at the mall’s food court when you are done with your shopping. Bloomington residents are blessed with a wide range healthy number fine diners and restaurants. One can easily find family-friendly restaurants or romantic fine diner anywhere in downtown Bloomington IL. You can choose a local fanfare at Baxter's American Grille on East Empire Street, authentic Italian food at Avanti's Italian Restaurant on South Main Street, Beningo's Restaurant on West Chestnut Street, or you can spice up your experience at Puran Indian Restaurant in Eastland Square Shopping Center.
- Historical Sites & Landmarks — An important landmark to visit in Bloomington is the David Davis Mansion State Historic Site on Monroe Drive. A combination of Italianate and Empire architectural style building, Judge Davis was appointed by President Lincoln to the United States Court Justice Department. Visitors are often impressed by what French architect, Alfred Piquenard, have produced. It was home for the judge and his family who wanted to be in Bloomington instead of primarily in Washington D.C. Hailing from Yale University, David Davis was a prominent lawyer, politician, jurist and businessman and his life and achievements are reflected in the museum. This historical landmark is a picture perfect attraction for history and architecture lovers who are visiting Bloomington. Be sure to make another quick stop at Bloomington’s McLean County Museum of History on N. Main Street, in the heart of the city. This attraction is a classic old courthouse that educates visitors about local history, its political landscape and agriculture. If you are interested in the country’s aviation background, make a quick stop at Prairie Aviation Museum on East Empire Street. Be ready to be delighted with aircrafts like the Bell AH-1J, Bell UH-1H Iroquois, Cessna 310, Hughes 269A, Lockheed T-33 Shooting Star, North AMerica F-100 Super Sabre and more. Also showcased are Link Trainer, Piston Engine, Jet Engine, Airport Beacon, Peashooter, and other rotating exhibits.
- Parks & Outdoor Activities — Sometimes, you just need an outdoor space to relax, hang out and have a picnic with your family and friends. The best place to do that would be at Bloomington’s Miller Park and McGraw Park. Enjoy yourself with activities like jogging, hiking, running, having a relaxing afternoon mingling with the locals or do some people-watching which can be therapeutic.
- Other Points of Interest — Those who are looking for great photo opportunities should take a picture with the Adlai E. Stevenson II Memorial Statue which visitors can find sitting right outside Central Illinois Regional Airport.
Let US Coachways Help You Make the Most Out of Your Time in Bloomington, IL
Time is of essence, especially if you have only a few short days to spend in charming Bloomington, IL. Make the most out of your time when you book a bus rental packages in and around Bloomington, Chicago, Galena, Springfield, Waukegan, Peoria, Rockford and many others. Get the details from our customer service agents at 1-855-BUS-CHARTER, send us an email quote request through our website’s Contact Us page or make use of our efficient and effective online bus booking system.