Having a Fun Time Traveling all around Colonial Heights' Tourist Attractions
There are Countless Fun and Exciting Things to do in Colonial Heights, VA
When the English arrived in what we now know as Colonial Heights, it was home to Tenakomakah people who relied heavily on Appomattox River as a means of transportation as well as resources. The city has sure come a long way and today, boasting of a sprawling suburban city with many businesses, retail outlets, shopping centers, tourist attractions like recreational centers, entertainment outlets, restaurants, cafes as well and historical landmarks, mansions and homes. With the introduction of State Route 144 which connects the city near Fort Lee, over Appomattos River, developments continued to expand, especially commercial development near Southpark Mall.
You can have all types of events in Colonial Heights, Virginia, and it includes having a bowling party at Bowling Center, a day-out with the kids at Swaders Sports Park, enjoy cultural performances at The Beacon Theater, go shopping for unique gifts and souvenirs from The Oak Collectibles and Antiques Mall or have a wedding reception at the historical Violet Bank Museum. If this is, indeed, what you are trying to do in Colonial Heights and you are looking around for a reliable charter bus rental company with vehicles like charter buses, party buses, mini buses, school buses, wedding limousines, prom limos, airport transfers, tour buses or other exotic vehicles, US Coachways is confident about being able to help you find just the right vehicle(s) for your events. Give us a call to find out more about our promotional packages right now!
Things to do in Colonial Heights, VA - Here are a few Suggestions and Recommendations
Planning ahead of your trip to Colonial Heights could save you a lot of time, effort and money so, read on to find out which fun attraction and historical points of interest that our travel writers have to recommended below.
- Entertainment & Amusement Parks — Whether it is activities for kids you are looking for or entertainment for teenagers in the city of Colonial Heights, we are sure that you can easily find them in the city center or its surrounding communities. Bowling Center is located in Fort Lee, a short charter bus drive away, has been providing locals with an amazing array of facilities for birthday parties, events and group events or countless years. Swaders Sports Park in Prince George is a fantastic place to check out if you prefer to have a team-building exercise playing some mini golf or race along with your friends or colleagues with go-karts. Of course, for a quieter evening out, try checking out the movies at Regal Cinemas Southpark Mall 16 where there is a modern cinema waiting to entertain you for a few hours.
- Arts & Cultural — The Beacon Theater is an attraction layered with countless years of history behind its restored structure. It is a lovely place to hold a wedding reception or cultural events as well as a place to catch a concert or a locally-produced performance. It was built in 1928 and designed by Fred Bishop, the same architect behind the birth of Byrd in Richmond. However, it was found abandoned and vacant in 1981 and various attempts were made to breathe life back into this historic theater and it wasn't until 1999 that further serious attempts were made to bring it back to its former glory and in hope of it playing a vital role in the city's cultural backdrop. Today, there are shows, top performances and events held all year round in this venue. Another cultural hotspot near Colonial Heights is Swift Creek Mill Theater. This national historic center works towards providing residents in the tri-cities area with top quality, professional plays and musicals of many different genres, including comedy and concerts. There's also a buffet for visitors to dig into.
- Restaurants & Shopping — One can expect a myriad of shopping centers and outlets for guests to stop by which includes MastRpieces Unlimited with its finely-crafted jewelry and accessories. You can also expect a long list of charming stores, retail outlets, and shops selling clothing, shoes, cafes, bakeries and quaint cafes to hang around in Southpark Mall. Go ahead and have a good shopping spree at Marshalls on Temple Avenue and Peebles, an intimate department store in downtown Colonial Heights. If you love antiques and quaint accessories, don't miss the chance to pop by The Oak Collectibles and Antiques Mall, simply because this humble attraction is huge and offer such an amazing array of different items, ranging from furniture, home decor, soaps, lotions, accessories and many more. And when it comes to dining out, there's filling bulgogi from Koreana, salad, soup and prime rib from Wagstaff's Steak House, unique Mexican meal at Mi Rodeo Mexican Grill, delicious Bacon Turkey Bravo at Panera Bread, savory pizza and lunch buffet from Vincenzo's Italian Restaurant and Pizza and unforgettable Greek delicacies from Venus De Milo.
- Golf Courses & Sports Venues — Looking for a reasonably-priced yet scenic and challenging golf course in and around Colonial Heights? Why not check out Dogwood Trace Golf Course which is located just slightly north in Petersburg? Even if you are not a fan of golfing, there is a fantastic restaurant and a scenic tour around this beautiful course.
- Historic Sites & Landmarks — Do you have a love for automobiles or old vehicles? Bring the charter bus around to Keystone Tracktor Works where there is a large collection of trucks, tractors and cars to learn about. In fact, there are many other memorabilia, including old-fashioned soda bottles and farming equipment to take you for a walk down memory lane. Even the little ones, especially young boys, will be fascinated. Violet Bank Museum is a historical landmark known for its beautiful tree and the second largest museum of its kind; it also consist of a charming farmland and farmhouse. It was used as a base camp for soldiers during our country's Civil War and for a bigger fill of history and nostalgia, bring the charter bus to Blandford Church and Cemetery for a breathtaking tour around its colonial times grounds and celebrate the lives and sacrifice of more than 30,000 Confederate soldiers, especially for the Battle of Petersburg. Visiting Pamplin Historical Park is a unique way to combine learning about the city's history and indulging in some hiking; the hike will take you around to a historic battleground which spelt the end of Confederacy. The battle of Petersburg is one of the most epic battles in the region's history so, don't miss the chance to stop by Petersburg National Battlefield Park. The attraction has a cool visitor's center where you can grab some useful information about each of its significant locations. And while you are at it, drop by National Museum of the Civil War Soldier which features prominent exhibits about the life of a soldier during the war. Other historical attractions in and around Colonial Heights are US Army Quartermaster Museum, US Army Women's Museum, Central Hill Mansion and, not forgetting, the surprisingly educational 19th Century Farmers Bank.
- Parks & Outdoor Activities — For those who are looking for an outdoor location to bring school-going children out for a field trip in Colonial Heights, check out The James River National Wildlife Refuge or Pocahontas State Park, both are postcard-worthy and historical attractions. The former is a part of Eastern Virginia Rivers National Wildlife Refuge Complex that measures up to more than 4,000 acres. Guests can also choose to relax, camp out and enjoy being connected to nature at Pocahontas State Park which comes with a picnic beach, picnic area, bathhouses, lakes, trails, cabins and conveniently located grills.
- Other Points of Interest — While learning up the region's history is always a blast, why not kick things up a notch by organizing a haunted house tour for your group? Some of the locations that has haunted stories around it are the Old Central State Hospital, Parker's Battery, Shirley Plantation, Edgar Allan Poe Museum in Richmond and Museum of the Confederacy.
US Coachways - Book your Charter Bus Easily, Anywhere, Any time
US Coachways is one of the country's top 15 ground transportation companies, therefore, we are confident about our customer support's ability to help you find a budget-friendly charter bus rental package in Colonial Heights and its surrounding neighborhoods. To get started, speak to our consultants by calling 1-855-BUS-CHARTER, use our state-of-the-art online bus reservation system or contact us
via email. We look forward to working with you for your events in the near future.