Charter a Bus in Johnston, IA
Many of Johnston’s Family-Friendly Attractions are a Short Drive away with a Charter Bus
Located within the path of a railway that ran from Des Moines to Perry, the city was named after John F. Johnston who worked as the railway station’s freight supervisor. The city of Johnston grew because of a westward expansion after the state of Iowa was established. Ezekiel Hunt was the first person to start his sawmill business in the area and during that time, the city was called various names before the city had access to railroad transportation, namely Beaver Creek Settlement, RIdgedale and Huntsville. The city was also known for being home to Camp Dodge, a military training site, which was built in the city’s 4,500 acres of land in 1908. One of the biggest draw for new residents and business owners was Hi-Bred Corn Company which was started by Henry B. Wallace in the 1920s. It visibly propelled the growth of Johnston and soon, the city became one of the leading corn seed producers in the world. Even with the rapid developments, incorporation of the city did not come until 1969 because of technicalities and you can learn all about them by visiting the city’s historical and art-related sites like the Johnston Historical Society near Johnston Public Library.
Johnston is an extremely fun city to visit for kids and grownups alike. You can bring the kids out for a fun field trip at attractions like Living History Farms, head out for skateboarding with the locals (and pick up new tricks at the same time) at the extensive Prairie Ridge Skatepark, or check out all the historical artifacts and documents at either Salisbury House or State Historical Museum. With the help of a charter bus, coach, mini bus or school bus, you can completely let the kids loose around Urbandale Dance Studio & Gymnastic Club while you bring the bus to East Village for a shopping spree. Other wonderful attractions that made it to the list of favorite places to visit in and around Johnston includes the always-fun and creative The Pointe Academy of Ballet & Contemporary Dance and spacious family-owned ice skating rink of Skate West. You don’t have to look very far if you are hunting for a reliable charter bus, coach, limo or corporate car, US Coachways has trained professionals who are skilled at looking for safe, comfortable and well-equipped vehicles throughout the nation and they are used for various events like city-to-city travel, field trips, school outings, church events, corporate functions, meetings and exhibitions of all sizes. Make the most of your time with one of our charter buses by contacting us today!
Don’t Forget to Check out the Following Gorgeous Sites and Iconic Landmarks when in Town
Some are family-friendly attractions, others iconic, historic points of interest like mansions, courthouses and shopping districts - these attractions are huge draws not just for the locals but for visitors from out of town as well. Check out the said attractions below, as suggested by our travel writers.
- Entertainment & Amusement Parks — The best place to have a kiddie birthday party is, undeniably, Money Joe’s in West Des Moines. The attraction has wall-to-wall trampoline jumping facilities, inflatable bounce houses and age-appropriate obstacle courses for young children to enjoy. Visitors will also get to enjoy swimming, water slides and water-related games at Prairie Ridge Aquatic Center in Ankeny, skating sessions at the family-owned Skate West in West Des Moines, or bowling sessions with family and friends at Val Lanes Recreation Center Corp.
- Art & Culture — Ankeny Community Theater is one of the best places you can check out for seasonal theatrical performances as it gives the locals a chance to explore their own creative talents, learn new acting skills and show off their dance moves. For students, they can have educational summer camps at the attraction too. People can bring the charter bus to The Pointe Academy of Ballet & Contemporary Dance which was introduced to the local communities in 1994 as a place for dance instructions, workshops and fitness classes throughout the year. Des Moines Art Center has three buildings worth of 19th and 20th century paintings for patrons to enjoy; it sometimes holds special art classes and events for visitors and residents alike but if you prefer an outdoor art attraction, get the charter bus driver to bring you to Pappajohn Sculpture Park instead. The park is located approximately 20 minutes away from downtown Johnston and it features inspiring and thought-provoking artistic sculptures from 21 local artists.
- Restaurant & Shopping — For those who love shopping and dining in a local setting, take your pick from Valley Junction in West Des Moines and East Village in Des Moines. Both attraction features chic boutiques, fine diners, entertainment outlets, tree-lined streets, art galleries and charming local restaurants. East Village plays host to the annual Latino Festival which will definitely prove itself to be a crowd winner. For a birthday, bachelor or bachelorette party, you can make your way to Firetruck Brewery which is housed in an old fire station (which explains the name) and it is where the locals head to when they are craving for some full-flavored beers in a comfortable location, or you can check out what Cabaret Bar & Patio has to offer instead. There are LIVE performances, talented DJs showing off their skills and favorite music and VIP rooms for private parties.
- Golf Courses & Sports Venues — The people of the region love their sports. So, when you are visiting, you are sure to be spoiled for choice. You can head out for skating and hockey lessons at Buccaneer Arena which sometimes hosts competitions and professional games, enjoy ice skating at the 87,000 square foot Metro Ice Sports Arena in neighboring Urbandale, or book yourself in for some tumbling, dance and gymnastic lessons at Urbandale Dance Studio & Gymnastic Club. Courage League Sports, in the meantime, offers a wide variety of lessons which includes fun fitness routines at its gym, yoga classes and team-building activities.
- Historical Sites & Landmarks — Two of the most historical sites in the region are Jordan House and Salisbury House. Jordan House is sometimes used for dinners featuring regionally-popular cuisine and has an inn-style accommodation for its guests while Salisbury House is one of the most iconic landmarks in Des Moines. The Tudor-style mansion of Salisbury House is open for tourists and student field trips, whether self-guided or guided (only on certain days). You can also make your way to Capitol Building which was built in the 1800s with gorgeous artwork, historic wood carvings decor and an easily-recognizable gold dome, State Historical Museum which displays countless artifacts and documents which tells the stories of the people of Iowa and its beautiful nature, or bring the charter bus to National Balloon Museum in Indianola to celebrate one of the most exciting activities for the locals...hot air balloon rides. Take a tour to learn about the activity via pictures, demos and get behind the scene looks into the industry.
- Parks & Outdoor Activities — The region boasts of some of the best parks and historic sites in the state of Iowa. For instance, visiting Living History Farms in Urbandale is a must for children and adults alike. The attraction features interesting historic homes, an old schoolhouse and exhibits that educates patrons about early farming techniques. You should also make your way to Walker-Johnston Park which has facilities like a baseball diamond, picnic spots, a skateboard park and a children’s playground for young children. Visitors will also get to enjoy the 15 feet skateboard bowl, grinding rails and pyramid structures at Prairie Ridge Skatepark, enjoy the vast natural scenic spots for joggers and cyclists around Raccoon River Park or bring the charter bus to High Trestle Trail in Ankeny which has 25 miles worth of walking and cycling trails. The latter attraction is one of the most popular ones in the state of Iowa. The Saylorville Trail has approximately 30 miles of riding pathways for visitors to enjoy as there are many different places that bikers can stop for a rest or beautiful pictures.
Easily and Conveniently Book a Charter Bus with US Coachways Over the Phone or Online
US Coachways grows with our customers, in an effort to meet with their needs and today, the company offers various ways to book a charter bus for their events in and around Johnston, IA. You can contact us over the phone, send us an email for a quote by completing a simple online form, calculate it yourself on our website or log into our state-of-the-art online bus reservation and management system on-the-go. It is really as simple as 1 - 2 - 3!