Discovering a Whole New Side to Macon, GA, in a Comfortable Charter Bus
Learn More about Historical Sites, Museums and Join the City’s Fun Festivals
Macon may be well-known for its elaborate Cherry Blossom Festival which manages to attract people from all corners of the world but it is also home to many other tourist-friendly attractions which includes The Allman Brothers Band Museum, The Tubman African American Museum, The Shoppes at River Crossing and countless other outdoor recreational facilities like Ocmulgee Heritage Trail, Bloomfield Park, Freedom Park, L.H. Community School Center and East Macon Park, just to name a few. Macon was also a major hub for Southern Rock music in the latest 1960s and early 1970s.
Touring the city of Macon, Georgia, is suitable for people of all ages, be it young children or elderly seniors. Many of its attractions and venues are wheelchair-friendly and has amenities for group gatherings, wedding receptions, birthday parties, corporate functions, business meetings, exhibitions, seminars, rallies, promotional events, festivals, bachelor or bachelorette parties and other types of events. US Coachways is ready to be your ground transportation partner, providing you with quality, top-of-the-line charter bus, coach charter, mini bus, school bus, party bus, limousines and various other exotic vehicles. Give us a call right now to find out how we can work together for your future events.
Travel Tips for Visitors and Tourists of Macon, GA
You could be here for a festival, wedding, birthday party or on a business trip - here are a few suggestions and tips about some of Macon’s best points of interest and tourist attractions that, we think, you should not miss out on.
- Entertainment & Amusement Parks — Unsurprisingly, there is a large number of entertainment outlets for people of all ages in the city of Macon, GA. You can head over to Grand Opera House to catch the world-renowned Macon Symphony Orchestra or the Middle Georgia Concert Band in action for a romantic night out. Grand Opera House is also where you can watch local youth performances, Middle Georgia Concert Band. The opera house was originally known as Academy of Music, a historical landmark in Macon which dates back to 1970. Today, it is a part of Mercer University. In the past, it hosted world class events like concerts from Will Rogers, Allman Brothers Band, Ray Charles, Lionel Barrymore, Gracie Allen and more. In fact, the legendary Harry Houdini was once a featured player. For an interactive educational visit for school-going children, check out The Georgia’s Children Museum in downtown Macon instead. Macon Little Theater, which was introduced to the community in 1934, also produces more than 5 plays and musicals per season, so, check their website for the schedule and have a good time. The Macon City Auditorium, apart from being a major event venue for Georgia’s big events and festivals. The auditorium was designed by New York architect, Egerton Swartwout and was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Don’t forget to take lots of photographs of its copper dome, claimed to be one of the largest of its kind in the world.
- Art & Cultural — Macon is known for its elaborate International Cherry Blossom Festival which is held every spring; it is capable of attracting hundreds of thousands of participants from all around the country. The 10-day long festival is, however, not associated with the National Cherry Blossom Festival traditionally held in Washington D.C. Mulberry Street Festival is an outdoor, fun and exciting fine arts and craft show which features not just local artists but works from international names too. There is also an International Food Fair during the Mulberry Festival. Other important festivals in Macon includes The Cherry Tree Blossom Street Party, Cherry Blossom Pageant, Hot Air Balloon Fest, Cherry Blossom Parade, Cherry Blossom Festival Grand Finale (complete with food, picnics, family activities, LIVE entertainment and fireworks), Air show, and many more. The Allman Brothers Band Museum, or simply known as The Big House, is where you will get to learn about the lives of the band’s original members, their achievements, professionally and personally. The Big House is a great contribution from the band members’ family and friends and was opened in 2009. It contains the world’s largest collection of memorabilia from the Allman Brothers Band. You can also bring your fellow travelers to The Museum of Arts and Sciences in downtown Macon; it has four frequently updated exhibitions including Discovery House, habitats of animals, planetarium, observatory, trail, a gorgeous garden and classrooms. The Tubman African American Museum is a 8,500 square foot museum dedicated to preserving and exhibiting African American art while helping visitors understand the life and culture of the natives. On top of outreach programs for adults, families and kids alike, you can also check out the drama, photography and visual art classes offered by this establishment. The Macon Coliseum is an expansive multi-purpose arena and convention center in downtown Macon. Whenever fans wanted to catch a game from Macon Whoopee, Macon Trax or Macon Knights, this would be where the games are held.
- Restaurant & Shopping — For some shopping, get the charter bus driver to bring your group to The Shoppes at River Crossing, an outdoor mall with a twist. There are bargain buys, old department stores, arts and crafts and cafes all around. Payne Mill Village Antique Mall is a fun place to shop for interesting and totally unique gifts that are hard to find anywhere else. And when you are done with the shopping, stop by The Rookery for a drink and traditional American meal, The Bear’s Den for some soul food like mac n cheese, Bombay City Indian Restaurant for garlic naan and scrumptious curry chicken or grab a quick pizza from Ingleside Village Pizza.
- Golf Courses & Sports Venues – Luther Williams Field is a 1929 baseball stadium located in the heart of the city, in Central City Park, Macon. It is also the 2nd oldest minor league stadium in the country which hosted the 1980 Atlantic Sun Conference Baseball Tournament. You can learn all about the famous sportsmen in the country by visiting The Georgia Sports Hall of Fame, the latest sports hall of fame in the country with more than 43,000 square feet to explore. The Georgia Room is ready for rentals and receptions.
- Historical Sites & Landmarks — There are countless attractions to visit to learn about the city and its culture. You can check out Ocmulgee National Monument for the world’s largest ancient earthwork mounds in the state of Georgia with traces of more than 10 millennial of Southeastern Native American culture or bring the charter bus around to Fort Benjamin Hawkins, a major military post for the US Army and Georgia militia. The Connonball House may have been constructed back in 1853 but it is a well-preserved historical site depicting how the site was damaged by a cannonball during the Civil War. Its Greek revival architecture is still stunning to this very day. Don’t forget to also have a tour around Rose Hill Cemetery which was designed by Simri Rose as a gathering place for the city’s visitors. Other historical landmarks to check out are Temple Beth Israel, a reform synagogue, Weskeyan College for women’s private and liberal arts education, City Hall, Johnston-Felton-Hay House (or simply known as Hay House) and St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, a gorgeous, magnificent cathedral.
- Parks & Outdoor Activities — There are many fun parks and outdoor recreational facilities for kids but the Ocmulgee Heritage Trail seems to be a favorite with locals and visitors alike. There are hiking, biking, walking, jogging trails all around which are nicely marked, boat ramp with kayaking and canoeing options, picnic spots and shaded areas where families can gather for a quick rest.
You are a Call away from Macon’s Best-Priced Charter Bus Rental Services
By choosing to use US Coachways for your ground transportation needs in Macon, GA, you save yourself time, money and effort. To get started, give us a call at 1-855-BUS-CHARTER or complete the Contact Us form on our website and we will get back to you shortly with a quote.