Step Back in Time with Trips to Historic Theaters, Iconic Lighthouse Museums and More
Bring the Charter Bus around to Waterfront Parks, Hiking Trails and Indoor Recreation Centers in Michigan City, IN
‘Michiana’, as the locals call it, Michigan City is located 50 miles from Chicago and 40 miles from South Bend, within close proximity to Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore and bordering Lake Michigan. Due to its location, Michigan City is a rather large tourist hotspot, especially during summer. It has definitely come a long way since the land that the city today sits on was purchased by Isaac C. Elston, a real estate speculator. Before the city became a settlement, it was merely a plan based on an ambition to develop a township along the harbor of Lake Michigan with roads leading to and from Central Indiana and Indianapolis. Although the land was not suitable for farming, the landscape was beautiful, filled with wildflowers and berries and it was blessed with the waters of Trail Creek, making it suitable for both the lumber and grist mill industries. Farmers would travel for miles around to have their wheat manufactured into flour, this despite the city being a rather large town located in the midst of a forest landscape. Although the earliest settlers in Michigan City were from Massachusetts and New York, there were so many immigrants who came to the city that it onces had the largest Lebanese population in the country. TIts lighthouses are notable iconic landmarks for Michigan City which includes Old Michigan City Light. Other notable buildings and sites in the city includes the Pullman-Standard rail car plant, Marquette Mall, St. Anthony Memorial Health Center, Indiana State Prison, Guy F. Foreman Amphitheater and Blue Chip Casino which is a riverboat.
Michigan City is a popular spot for tourists because it is a wonderful place filled with restaurants, charming retail outlets, boutiques and cafes to enjoy. On top of that, visitors will get to rent a charter bus for a trip to historical sites like The Westchester Township Historical Museum to learn about the town or bring the kids out to the iconic Old Lighthouse Museum, which is the only lighthouse in the state of Indiana. There’s also a party bus trip to Blue Chip Casino for gaming and LIVE entertainment, kid-friendly amenities for parties and gatherings at Kids Quest, and classic shows and LIVE concerts at Dunes Summer Theater. People can also head out to Michigan City than Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets for a shopping spree and then chill out with family and friends with a walking tour and picnic at the spacious green lung of Washington Park. The attractions can be exciting and fun-filled while relaxing at the same time. And US Coachways is always ready to help you plan your wedding reception, get you transportation for field trips, corporate functions, meetings, gatherings, dinners and all types of celebrations. Our customer service representatives are always ready to answer any questions you might have about our affordable bus rental services.
Enjoy Modern Amenities while Exploring Historic, Timeless Museums in Michigan City, IN
There’s so much to do in Michigan City that people of all ages and from all walks of life will get to have a splendid time going around from points of interest to parks and casino. While there is an endless list of restaurants, cafes and coffee outlets to relax in in Michigan City, there’s also water parks, zoos and art centers to check out.
- Entertainment & Amusement Parks — The kids will get to have loads of fun at Seven Peaks Fun Center in downtown Chesterton but for those who are looking for a little bit of Vegas in Michigan City, rent a party bus and head down to Blue Chip Casino. Seven Peaks is a water park with tubing areas, water slides and wave pools while Blue Chip is a full service casino with a hotel, spa and modern event center people can use for corporate and private events. You can also bring the charter bus to Zao Island for laser tag, go-karting, bumper car rides and arcade games and Kids Quest in downtown New Buffalo which is one of the country’s largest supervised indoor entertainment center. Its activities includes video games, karaoke, arts and craft and a fun gym. Other fun attractions in and around Michigan City includes the bumper boats, mini golf course and batting cages at Flip’s Cascade Mountain, bowling facilities with poker tournaments at Lakeshore Lanes and City Lanes, and when you are done, tone things down a little by catching the latest movies showing at AMC Showplace Michigan City 14.
- Art & Culture — If you enjoy nature documentaries, Lubeznik Center for the Arts will be an amazing place for you; in fact, the gorgeous attraction is sometimes used for special events by local communities and organizations. For something more intimate, we suggest organizing an event at Walnut Ink Projects which was founded in 2010, relatively new to the city. The gallery offers workshops related to snowboards and textile. There are acting classes, LIVE theater and outdoor musical events held throughout the summer months at Dunes Summer Theater, historical architecture, LIVE theater, plays and open mic nights at Mainstreet Theater and seascape portraits by late artist Charles Vickery at the Clipper Ship Gallery in New Buffalo. You will also find similar pictures and paintings from other artists but the primary focus is on the originals by Vickery.
- Restaurant & Shopping — Whether you are looking for a chic restaurant or an affordable diner to enjoy local traditional food, there’s something for everyone in downtown Michigan City. You can sample delicious sandwiches at Panini Panini along Franklin Street, traditional American dishes like lobster pasta at Fiddlehead Restaurant, sumptuous Japanese delicacies at Hokkaido Restaurant, try Caribbean cuisine like jerk chicken at Cool Runnings or order authentic Italian dishes like lasagna at Trattoria Tonelli. When it comes to shopping, there is no better place in Michigan City than Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets which is home to more than 120 branded stores, restaurants and unique gift shops. For those who are looking for a place for a party, check out the custom crafted wines that can be enjoyed in front of rustic fireplaces and spacious patios at Shady Creek Winery. Sometimes, patrons will get to enjoy performances by local artists and it can be rented for events like weddings and private events like bachelor or bachelorette parties.
- Golf Courses & Sports Venues — The Course at Aberdeen would be your go-to place if you are a golfer; the course was awarded a 5-star rating by Chicagoland Golf and offers challenging fairways, tees and greens for patrons to enjoy but if you like baseball, do not miss the chance to catch the Gary Southshore Railcats in action. You will also get to enjoy amenities for bungee jumping, batting cages and a playground for young children. If you are organizing a team-building event, check out the tennis courts, racquetball courts and fitness center at South Shore Health & Racquet Club but if you have young children with you, book them in for fun dance, gymnastics or cheerleading classes at Lakeshore Gymnastics in Chesterton instead.
- Historical Sites & Landmarks — Preserving the legacy left behind by the founding father of the railcar industry, John H. Baker, is Barker Mansion. The attraction has space for private events and guided tours around the beautiful mansion and a schoolroom. The Old Lighthouse Museum is the only lighthouse in the state of Indiana and today, it features exhibits about shipwrecks around Lake Michigan, has a lantern tower and exhibits about maritime history from the 1800s. People can also learn more about the history of the locals and region at Michigan City Historical Society, explore the largest train yard in the southwest of Michigan at New Buffalo Railroad Museum. The attraction is an iconic landmark for New Buffalo and preserves the city’s rich railroad heritage. The Westchester Township Historical Museum is located along Lake Michigan and the gorgeous stately brick home has artifacts related to regional and local history or you can check out Hesston Steam Museum in LaPorte. The venue is sometimes used for yearly events, has reenactments of Civil War and is home to old steam locomotives that dates as far back as 1929.
Parks & Outdoor Activities — Stateline Blueberries is a 35-acre family-owned and -operated blueberry farm; it is a great place to shop for blueberries, jams, blossom honey, syrup and up to nine varieties of blueberries, and if you wish to enjoy children’s playground, have a picnic or hold a private event in an outdoor attraction, bring the charter bus to Washington Park instead. A great alternative would be renting a spot at International Friendship Gardens which has a nice, relaxing and calming outdoor spot for people-watching and walking. You can also enjoy the visitor’s center, fishing piers and outdoor amenities at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, take lots of photographs of Galien River Bridge at New Buffalo Public Beach, enjoy a concert, make use of the pavilions and enjoy the ponds at Coffee Creek Watershed Conservancy Preserve, or rent the 3,500 square foot public pavilion at Portage Lakefront and Riverwalk. There are meeting rooms with a snack bar for events of all types.
- Zoos & Aquariums — There are a number of attractions to choose from when it comes to kid-friendly locations. One of the most popular one is, however, the historic Washington Zoo located along the shorelines of Lake Michigan which is home to more than 90 species of animals from all around the world; it has exhibits like Rotary Castle and Australian Adventure.
With US Coachways, your Safety, Comfort and Budget is Taken Care of
US Coachways prides ourselves in having a wide network of charter buses, executive coaches, mini buses, school buses, party buses, limousines and corporate cars. Although we do not own nor operate the vehicles, we go that extra mile to ensure that the vehicles provided are well-maintained and undergoes regular inspection as required by both State and Federal DOT guidelines. So, if you are looking for ground transportation in Michigan City, do not hesitate to contact us today to find out more about our extensive charter bus rental services.