Exciting Tours around some of Salem's Top Iconic Landmarks and Hidden Gems
Come Explore Salem's Local Museum, Recreation Center, Park or Farm and have Some Family Fun
Salem, VA, is a scenic city located in Roanoke county, neighbors to Charlottesville, Greensboro, and Knoxville. The lifestyle and culture in Salem is distinct, unique and has its own charm. The first explorers who founded Salem were thought to be Thomas Batts and Robert Fallam who named the city after the tribe found living in the area - Totero Town. The city's residents have a deep interest in sports, hence, is home to Salem Red Sox, an affiliate to Boston Red Sox. The residents also hold volleyball and NCAA games on a regular basis so, if there is a game on, be sure to rent a bus and be a part of the games! The city also plays host of many other Virginia statewide, regional and national sporting events which proves to be tourist magnets on its own.
But sports is not the only thing that is of interest in Salem. You can have a day full of fun and laughter at Thunder Valley Family Entertainment Center, go shopping and dining at Center in the Square, explore local performances at Mill Mountain Theater, go explore charming antiques Charlotte's Web Antique Mall, or learn up about old trains through old black and white photographs at The O. Winston Link Museum. If you are organizing a wedding, birthday party, church outing, group tour, corporate event, business meeting, school field trip or other events that may require a charter bus, mini bus, school bus, party bus, tour bus, limousine, airport transfer or other ground transportation like exotic luxury vehicles, give US Coachways a call and let us help you find an affordable charter bus rental package in Salem, VA
Get Travel Tips and Suggestions about Salem's Top Things to do
Here's a short list of Salem, VA's, top attractions and historical points of interest. They range from antique malls to recreational parks, so, suffice to say, there is something for everyone to do in this quaint Virginia city.
- Entertainment & Amusement Parks — The city's Thunder Valley Family Entertainment Center will provide young kids and teenagers alike with a lot of fun things to do throughout the day. During weekends, you will find families bringing their kids for some go-karting, batting, mini-golfing, laser tag experience, thunder bowling, and enjoy a playroom with tubes, slides and tunnels for young children. They have specific packages for parties and events so, give them a call ahead of time to find out how you can save some money playing at its countless attractions. One can easily find themselves immersed in everything that the Center in the Square has - and it includes activities for day and night. There is shopping, dining and a pulsating night life that is quite unlike any other, especially when there is a festival like July 4th or St. Patrick's Day going on. On those days, the mood and atmosphere is comparable to Mardi Gras, some contend. You can also get young kids engaged while learning important lessons at Science Museum of Western Virginia and Hopkins Planetarium. It presents visitors with an abundance of hands-on activities and an intimate room for young children to 'dig up fossils'.
- Arts & Cultural — Make no mistake about the humble appearance of Salem Civic Center, within its walls are some of the most helpful people and information about what to expect from Salem, VA. Whenever there is something huge, like a festival or community event, it usually happens at this charming civic center. Mill Mountain Theater, a local community theatrical attraction, was designed in such a way that there are no bad seats in the audience. Wherever you are seated, you are always a part of the action on stage. It is conveniently located in the heart of the city center. Jefferson Center is another great attraction to check out for theatrical shows and performances. Managed by dedicated and committed creative professionals, patrons are assured of a passionate performance from local talents. The locals are also incredibly proud of being home to Taubman Museum of Art which was designed and constructed in 1947 as an offshoot of Virginia Museum of Fine Arts with an exhibition in Hotel Roanoke. The plans may have been scrapped but within its walls remain some really thought-provoking artwork curated from around the region and the world. The shows at Showtimers Community Theater may have a more intimate feel and they bank on great professional talents from the local art scene.
- Restaurants & Shopping — Don't let the exterior of the building which houses Parkway Brewing Company fool you into thinking that there is nothing fun to do within the attraction - they are proud to present patrons with brews that celebrates the city's different cultures, people, places, history, art and music. Each of the brews takes each of these elements and presents them in the form of unique brews and flavors. One can expect to spend a few hours exploring the facilities, eating at food trucks, making friends with others while enjoying your favorite brew. There is so much history and charm to Charlotte's Web Antique Mall that it is almost impossible to put into words - re-purposed furniture, antiques and pre-loved items in excellent conditions are up for sale. Consider getting yourself a quaint grandfather's clock or an inexperience art piece....they are all here for you to browse through! Another local charming shopping outlet is Black Dog Architectural Salvage and Antiques which is managed by friendly and knowledgeable people who knows the ins and outs of every gem in the outlet and of course, if you are looking for friendly markets, the place to be is City Market which is one of the city's biggest tourist magnets. It is within a short walking distance from both Winston Link Museum and The Center in the Square. You can top off the day with a quick stop with your friends at Soaring Ridge Craft Brewery.
- Golf Courses & Sports Venues — There is nothing more fun than to bring the entire family and group of friends out on a weekend to catch a game at Salem Red Sox; sometimes, there are friendly baseball matches between colleges and educational institutions. You have got to love the fun atmosphere and camaraderie between fans and sportsmen.
- Historic Sites & Landmarks — Mill Mountain Star and Park provides visitors with the perfect place to have a bird's eye view of the city landscape, with it being the highest point in the city; it comes with an intimate zoo, perfect for young children too so, it makes for a perfect day out with your kids. The O. Winston Link Museum is an great intimate museum for photographers and train lovers but of course, nothing beats a visit to Virginia Museum of Transportation with model trains and train rides to admire. Car lovers will have a splendid time exploring all the old classic cars and a miniature circus tent that will entice curious minds.
- Parks & Outdoor Activities — Craving for some outdoor fun with your fellow travelers in Salem, VA? We think there is much fun to be had at Dixie Caverns which is a short drive from Dixie Caverns and Pottery. Take on a guided tour and explore the ageless caves which are cold and the hike requires practical shoes and clothing. There is also an intimate exhibit of charming vintage and electric collectibles. You can also go biking and walking at the scenic Roanoke Valley Greenways or have a picnic and explore the Carvins Cove Natural Reserve which one can expect to be packed during weekends. Jeter Farm lets visitors run around freely in the 70-acre farm, take wagon rides and enjoy the awe-inspiring scenery. During fall, be sure to organize a fall pumpkin trip, you won't regret it!
Benefits to having your very own Dedicated Project Manager and Sales Representatives
Renting a charter bus from US Coachways is a very personal experience - you will be assigned your very own Sales Representatives and Project Manager to ensure that we are able to tend to the smallest to the biggest details regarding your event. Get started by calling 1-855-BUS-CHARTER any time, any day or let us send you a quick cost estimate via email when you contact us