Learn, Explore and Educate Yourself during Your Trip to Skokie
Skokie is a Fun, Adventurous and Charming City to Visit in Illinois
For quite a number of years, before it was incorporated, Skokie was known as and promoted itself as the world’s largest ‘village’. Formerly a part of Cook County, the city’s name came from the fact that it sits on marshland. Skokie was formerly a German community with a fair number of Jewish populations who have come to set roots in the city after World War II. Till this very day, Skokie has a large number of Jewish residents. And that is perhaps why Skokie was a natural choice for the building of Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center.
Many residents of Skokie are from the working class who work in downtown Chicago, Illinois and because of the proximity, there is a rising number of entertainment outlets, recreational facilities, LIVE performance venues, art galleries and playgrounds popping up all around the city. Residents can get their fill of LIVE shows at the state-of-the-art North Shore Center for the Performing Arts, visit the art galleries at Village Art and Bughouse Studio, experience a unique tea sampling session at Adagio Teas or bring the kids outdoors to Skokie Park District for recreational activities.
Skokie boasts of numerous popular and affordable event venues for wedding receptions, birthday parties, corporate functions, business meetings, kids’ parties, group tours or exhibitions. If you are looking for ground transportation for these events, US Coachways would make the perfect ground transportation service provider because we can help bring you modern and safe charter bus, mini bus, coach charter, school bus, tour bus, party bus or other luxurious and exotic vehicles like prom limousines and wedding limos. Give us a call to find out how we can work together to make your event a more smooth sailing one.
Make the Best of your Time in Skokie, Visit Unique Skokie Attractions
There is always something to do for everyone in Skokie. The city boasts of some of the most unique retail outlets, malls, art galleries and parks. Read on to find what are the points of interest and attractions that you should check out during your trip to Skokie, IL.
- Entertainment & Amusement Parks — North Shore Center for the Performing Arts located on Skokie Boulevard is not just easily accessibly and easy to find, it is THE place for locals whenever they are looking for good LIVE entertainment without having to drive out of Skokie into the main Chicago downtown metropolis. The North Shore Center for the Performing Arts was designed by developer and architect Graham Gund in 1996. He received countless awards for the building design and was also presented with the National Commercial Builder’s Award of Excellence Merit Award. Within the modern 68,000 square feet facilities, many LIVE shows have been held because of its unique state-of-the-art amenities. Various big names have performed at the center and they are, just to name a few, Queen Latifah, Bill Maher, Bob Newhart, Kathy Griffin and Neil Sedaka. Visitors can expect nothing short of a spellbinding show when they catch a show at this performance venue. AMC Showplace Village 18 Crossing provides locals and tourists alike with an incredibly unique movie-going experience. It features the latest shows to hit Hollywood as well as some indie films. Guests can expect to have a comfortable time as they catch the latest flick in cushy reclining leather seats while digging into on-location food and drinks provided by the establishment.
- Art & Cultural — Visitors should venture into some interesting art and culture galleries in downtown Skokie or visit Skokie Art Classes for a crash course, explore Village Art and Bughouse Studio's inspiring galleries. You might find yourself falling in love with artworks from local talents and bring an item (or two) home as a gift for your loved ones back home.
- Restaurant & Shopping — One of the most unique shopping experiences in Skokie have been reported to be in Adagio Teas, a local tea haven. Many interesting teas that cannot be found in your conventional mall or stalls is all here in Adagio Teas, located on Old Orchard Road. The well-trained staff will take visitors through the many samples of teas taken from neighboring farms and let them in on their health benefits. Not your conventional, boring tea room, visitors can expect a fun learning experience as they go through the wide ranging teas coming from special dispensers in the shop.
- Golf Courses & Sports Venues — While there are stadiums and many sporting venues in other neighboring cities that the locals can hit during the weekends, Scuba Systems at 3919 Oakton Street provides visitors with professional scuba diving lessons. The coaches can provide personalized and custom-made lessons to suit individual needs. Programs include open water classroom and open water dives. Do give them a call ahead of time to schedule in a class or ask ahead about pricing and packages, especially if you intend to take on a group class.
- Historical Sites & Landmarks — History lovers will have a good time learning up on the Holocaust at Illinois Holocaust Museum on Skokie’s Woods Drive. While it can be a somber visit, guests will come off knowing more about the country’s history, ethnicity and local culture. Exhibits include At a Glance, Karkomi Permanent Exhibition, The Harley L. Miller Family Youth Exhibition, Legacy of Absence Gallery, Contemplative Spaces and other Special Exhibits. After visiting all the available exhibits, guests are invited to head over to a special room in the museum called Contemplative Space which encourages people to reflect and process all the images, messages and stories that they have just seen. It is also a place to pay tribute to those who fought against, resisted or saved the lives of others affected by this historical event.
- Parks & Outdoor Activities — Tired of all the traveling and looking for a place to relax and have some fun in Skokie, IL? Skokie Park District on Weber Park Place runs some of the city’s best sporting and recreational facilities, including wide open spaces for children to run and have fun in. It also provides visitors with a well-managed health and fitness center as well as an Exploratorium with figure skating and hockey facilities.
- Other Points of Interest — For those who are planning a private party, gathering, bachelor or bachelorette party in Skokie, stock up your drink supplies by visiting Schaefer’s Wines and Liquors on Gross Point Road. The store has come a long way since it began operations in 1936 which was masterminded by a dedicated George J. Schaefer Sr. Standing by their principles of providing locals with only quality products that will ‘wow’ customers and help bring them back time and time again, the organization specifically credits its team of experienced staff for the store’s popularity over so many years. Give them a visit if you are looking for a good selection of wine and liquor for your party or event.
Get Personal Attention from US Coachways’ Staff when you Book a Charter Bus with us
US Coachways work with some of the industry’s best experts and professionals in charter bus rental. We grow together with our charter bus customers’ needs; and that is why, today, we offer convenient ways to book a charter bus with us. Customers can speak to our 24/7-available customer service agents at 1-855-BUS-CHARTER, send us an email by completing our quote request form on our Contact Us page or make use of online bus booking system.