US Coachways—The Answer to Your Ground Transportation Needs
At US Coachways, we have provided effective ground transportation solutions to individuals, groups and businesses throughout the country for more than three decades. Over the past 30+ years, we have heard many questions from customers unfamiliar with the details of a charter bus rental. We've provided answers to the most frequently asked questions below.
To get a free estimate on the cost of a charter bus rental, go to our online Cost Calculator. For answers to any questions not addressed here, or to learn more about the scope of our services, call 1-855-287-2427 and ask for an experienced travel consultant.
Frequently Asked Questions
Questions about Your Charter Bus
- Q: Will I have vehicle options?
- A: As a general rule, yes. We work with charter bus vendors across the country, who typically have a wide range of coaches from which to choose, including mini-buses (seating 24 to 35) and full-sized buses (with accommodations for up to 57 passengers).
- Q: How will my bus be selected?
- A: When you book a coach with us, we'll take the time to learn the details of your trip—how many people will be going, how long you'll be on the road, what you'll need to bring or take home, and any other special needs of your passengers. Then we'll work closely with our network of charter bus service providers to find the bus that best fits your needs.
- Q: Do you own the buses?
- A: No. US Coachways does not own any charter buses. Instead, we work with an extensive list of charter bus vendors nationwide, all of whom are DOT certified and have passed our stringent safety regulations.
- Q: Will my bus look like the ones I see on the US Coachways website?
- A: Not necessarily. Our website is intended to provide examples of the types of coaches that are available, but the styles will typically vary from vendor to vendor, and from market to market. Rest assured that all our service providers have proper DOT credentials, skilled drivers and proper insurance.
- Q: What amenities are standard on a US Coachways bus?
- A: With the exception of some school buses, all charter buses come with high-back bucket seats, climate control, a basic sound system and more leg room than any other mode of transportation. The full-sized buses have an on-board bathroom as a standard feature. Seatbelts are not standard in charter buses, but may be available upon request (although they cannot be guaranteed).
- Q: What optional amenities are available?
- A: You may be able to get additional features for an extra charge, including Wifi, electrical outlets, DVD players and monitors, public address systems, leather seats and hardwood floors. ADA-accessible coaches are also available, with accommodations for up to two wheelchairs. You must request a handicapped-accessible vehicle at the time of your booking. The amenities vary from coach to coach, so you need to confirm what's available with your booking agent.
- Q: Can I pick out my own coach in person?
- A: It's possible, but can be difficult. The bus depots are not designed for public visits. In addition, Department of Transportation regulations place restrictions on who may enter a bus depot (for obvious safety reasons). Furthermore, most buses spend most of their time on the road, so there may not be many buses to view. It's usually a better idea to go to our fleet page and look at your options. The website provides pictures of the interior and exterior of a wide range of vehicles. However, if you need to view a vehicle in person, you'll need to complete a vehicle request form and work with our scheduling department to arrange a visit.
- Q: How old will our bus be?
- A: At US Coachways, because your comfort is a primary concern, we'll always endeavor to find the latest model vehicles. Unlike passenger vehicles, the age of the bus is less important than its maintenance record. All buses we use are inspected both before and after a charter bus trip, and have regular and thorough attention to all mechanical details.
Moreover, the bus fleet has continuous repairs, upgrades and updates to keep them in good, professional and modern condition.
- Q: What happens if our bus breaks down in the middle of a trip?
- A: Because of the meticulous maintenance of the vehicles we use, breakdowns are extremely rare. However, with our national network of charter bus service providers, we can typically find a replacement vehicle without significant delay. If you have experienced a breakdown, call 1-800-359-5991 and select option 4.
Questions about Your Driver
- Q: Do you conduct a background check on drivers?
- A: Any driver provided by a vendor to US Coachways must participate in all screenings required by state and federal agencies and regulations. In addition, all drivers must have a minimum level of experience operating a charter bus or similar vehicle.
- Q: Can I get my driver's name or phone number?
- A: For safety and privacy reasons, we do not give the names or phone numbers of drivers to our customers. If you need to contact your driver during a trip, you will need to contact our 24/7 dispatch service, who will communicate directly with the driver.
- Q: Can you accommodate a request for an SPAB/ISD/19A certified driver?
- A: As a general rule, we can. However, you will need to notify us of this need at the time of booking.
Questions about the Trip
- Q: Can we make last-minute or real-time changes to our travel schedule?
- A: In most instances, we can accommodate modifications of your itinerary, and will strive to do so whenever possible. Changes to your trip may, however, lead to a price increase for added mileage or time.
- Q: Can we keep the bus for more time than stated in the contract?
- A: As with any changes to your itinerary, this depends on a number of factors. If your bus driver agrees and your trip still meets all DOT and other regulations, we will strive to honor your request. You may, however, pay additional fees for overtime for your driver. A better option—book extra time in advance at a lower cost.
- Q: What are my options if my passenger count changes?
- A: In many instances, you can book a different bus, provided a vehicle is still available when you want to make the change. The sooner you notify us, the better, as there will likely be more options. If you do change buses, there will likely be price revisions based on current charter bus rates.
- Q: Why do you require that we provide you with a detailed itinerary 30 days before our trip starts?
- A: We need to confirm that your trip and schedule complies with DOT laws and regulations. For example, based on the time you will need to be on the road, we may need to add a second driver, so that we don't violate the "time on the road" limitations for bus drivers.
- Q: We don't really have a set itinerary. Can we just pay you to drive us around?
- A: No. Department of Transportation regulations do not allow charter bus trips without specific itineraries, so that all regulations can be met. You can, however, usually make changes to an itinerary, either at the last minute or while you're on the road.
- Q: We're taking a group of fans to a game or a concert. Can we tailgate on the bus?
- A: If you want to do this, you will need to make the request at the time of booking, as some of our vendors do not allow it. We will strive to find a vendor who will accommodate your request. You may, however, pay an additional fee. In addition, you may need a larger bus, if you plan to bring chairs or tables.
- Q: Can we bring food and beverages on the bus?
- A: As a general rule, you can, but you should always verify with your booking agent, as a few vendors do not allow these items. In addition, you may have to post a refundable security deposit or may incur a cleanup fee. US Coachways does allow alcoholic beverages, but you must obtain prior permission. In addition, all consumption of alcoholic beverages must comply with state and local regulations. As a general rule, all persons on the bus must be at least 21. Kegs and glass bottles are not allowed.
Questions about the Cost of a Charter Bus Rental
- Q: How much does it cost to rent a charter bus?
- A: That will vary, based on a number of factors, such as the size of the vehicle, how long you'll need the bus, where you'll board and disembark, the time of the year and location of the rental, and the day of the week. You can get a free quote by using our online Cost Calculator.
- Q: What does the quoted price include?
- A: Your quoted price includes all fees for the use of the bus, the cost of the driver, insurance, tolls and gas. Service fees will be charged separately and include the costs of dispatch and project management services, as well as a small gratuity for the bus driver. You may also provide the driver with an additional tip, but that's optional. There is no sales tax on transportation, but you will be responsible for all parking fees and permits. If your trip is overnight, you will need to provide a hotel room for the driver in a hotel that allows parking for the bus.
- Q: How much insurance coverage is included in the cost of the charter bus?
- A:The standard insurance fees provide $10 million in combined coverage, with $5 million in comprehensive general liability and $5 million in an automobile policy.
- Q: What methods of payment does US Coachways accept?
- A: We accept all major credit cards, as well as personal and business checks, wire transfers and money orders. However, if you pay by check, your check must be received at least 30 days prior to the beginning of your rental, and must include your charter number on the check.
- Q: Do you offer any special discounts to non-profits or the armed forces?
- A: We are GSA approved to provide charter bus services to the United States military and offer a 5% (five percent) discount to all branches of the armed force. Non-profit organizations receive the same discount. You must, however, provide a military ID or proof of non-profit status at the time of your booking.
Make Your Charter Bus Reservation Today!
At US Coachways, we have been at the forefront of the charter bus rental business for more than 30 years. For a free quote on the cost of a charter bus rental anywhere in the United States, go to our easy-to-use online Cost Calculator. You'll get an estimate within minutes, as well as a follow up e-mail. To ask any questions that are not answered here, or to learn more about the full scope of our services, call 1-855-287-2427 and speak with an experienced travel consultant.