Take a Charter Bus Tour around ‘Video Game Capital of the World’ - Ottumwa, IA
Whether it is an Outdoor Attraction, a Shopping Mall or Water Park, they are Right Here in and around Ottumwa, IA
The city of Ottumwa is split into the northern and southern sides by Des Moines River; due to its strategic location, coal mining played a huge role during the city’s developmental days. Since 1857, coal mining was carried out along McCready Bank and Bear Creek and by 1868, a mine was opened by Brown and Godfrey whereby hundreds of men were employed. It was reported that the mine produced 77,000 tons of coal every year; another important coal mining company which opened in Ottumwa was the Phillips Coal and Mining Company which produced more than 100,000 tons of coal annually. Mining was so important to the economy of Ottumwa that the Coal Palace was erected and today, it doubles up as an event and exhibition center. In modern days, the city is no stranger to visits from running Presidential candidates because of the Iowa Caucuses; Benjamin Harrison, Theodore Roosevelt, Harry Truman, Richard Nixon, Barack Obama and Joe Biden have all made their way to Ottawa during their presidential campaigns. Ottumwa is home to Twin Galaxies which is an organization that tracks video games and world records all around the world, hence, it was given the nickname ‘Video Game Capital of the World’. Twin Galaxies published the Twin Galaxies’ Official Video Game & Pinball Book of World Records and The Guinness World Records - Gamers’ Edition which was released in 2008. Ottumwa was featured or mentioned in movies ‘The Tuskegee Airmen’, ‘The Woman Who Loved Elvis’, sitcom ‘Roseanne’ and novel ‘Over My Dead Body’. The locals are serious about historic preservation and it is home to countless historic structures like Hoffman Building, Foster/Bell House, First National Bank Building, St. Mary of the Visitation Catholic Church, Ottumwa City Hall, Hotel Ottumwa, Trinity Episcopal Church, Burlington Depot and many more.
Ottumwa is surrounding by some of the biggest cities in Iowa - Des Moines, Iowa City and Cedar Rapids. Hence, visitors will get to enjoy the laser tag arena and family-friendly amenities at FunCity, bring the family out for a splashing good time around in Adventureland, enjoy Broadway musicals at Newton Community Theater and they can even opt for a trip to the inspiring and thought-provoking Pappajohn Sculpture Park. For adventure and speed lovers, be sure to rent a charter bus for your trip to Iowa Speedway where there are driving and racing lessons offered, cheer on the Hawkeyes football team at University of Iowa’s Niles Kinnick Stadium when there’s a game on or organize a field trip with children to learn about the region’s natural history and culture at Museum of Natural History. Love the outdoors? Worry not, you can always count on the trails around the Gray’s Lake and its spacious park to provide you with a fantastic place to relax, unwind or exercise. For those who are looking for vehicles like a charter bus, corporate car, party bus, mini bus, van, coach, limousine or school bus, you have come to the right place. US Coachways is ready to help you secure a reliable, professionally-driven vehicle for your events in Ottumwa, IA. Our staff are professionally-trained and are experienced in handling just about any event of any size. So, wait no more, give us a call to find out more right away!
Tips and Tricks to Traveling in Ottumwa, IA, that will Save you Time!
You don’t need to be an expert planner to make the most of your time here in Ottumwa, IA, all you need are some tips and tricks! And speaking of which, we have outlined some points of interest that you might want to check out, bring your kids out to or enjoy with your family and friends during your trip.
- Entertainment & Amusement Parks — Visitors can take their pick from fun water parks to indoor recreation centers located all around Ottumwa. If you have young children with you, be sure to check out what Adventureland in Des Moines has to offer. There are thrill rides, kiddie rides as well as a water park called Adventure Bay to enjoy. For indoor activities, you can check out the theme park and resort with laser tag arenas and water park offered by Burlington’s FunCity, or the hands-on interactive activities and educational programs offered by Science Center of Iowa. The kids will get to learn through live demonstrations about anything from chemistry to astronomy. Other fun things to do with kids includes the science projects and exhibits at Active Learners and educational games, rides and livestock housed at Iowa State Fairgrounds.
- Art & Culture — Many beautiful galleries and inspiring community theaters can be found a short drive away from Ottumwa. For instance, there are quality theater productions like Les Miserables, Annie, My Fair Lady and It’s a Wonderful Life featured at Newton Community Theater, a large collection of 19th and 20th century artworks and paintings showcased at the 3 buildings that make up the Des Moines Art Center, and gorgeous, thought-provoking sculptures from more than 21 artists featured by Pappajohn Sculpture Park. The Englert Theater is said to be one of the most versatile community performance centers in the region. The attraction is located in neighboring Iowa City and is where local Ottumwa residents would bring their kids to for children, youth and adult art programs.
- Restaurant & Shopping — Whether it’s Chinese cuisine, Indian curry, Italian pasta or traditional American BBQ meal that you are looking for, you don’t have to look very far from Ottumwa city center. Visitors will also get to enjoy the delicious wines produced by Sugar Grove Vineyards where there are sometimes entertaining dinner shows, thrilling outdoor concerts and venues for a private party. When the shopping bug bites, bring the charter bus to Downtown Farmers Market - it is open from May to October every year and features hundreds of vendors ranging from arts and crafts producers to bakers, farmers to artists from the region.
- Golf Courses & Sports Venues — There are very unique attractions related to sports for fans to check out around Ottumwa. If you have a need for speed, bring the charter bus to Iowa Speedway which is a world class racing facility that caters to NASCAR events as well as racing and driving lessons. Sometimes, the venue is used for concerts and LIVE performances. If you enjoy wrestling as a sport, do not miss the chance to visit Newton’s International Wrestling Institute & Museum which has exhibits that showcases and preserves Wrestling as a sport in the nation; there are documents and pictures which educates visitors about the sport’s progress since its introduction in the country. Niles Kinnick Stadium is located on the campus of Iowa State University and is home to the University’s home football team, the Hawkeyes. It is one of the top 25 largest field-turf stadiums in the country.
- Historical Sites & Landmarks — Jasper County Historical Society is where you need to visit if you wish to learn about the region and county’s agricultural, commercial, industrial and societal progress. In fact, it is home to one of the most unique exhibits in the world - the Washing Machine Center of the World. Visitors should also take on the public tours around Des Moines, especially Capitol Building, bring the charter bus to Museum of Natural History which is located on the campus of University of Iowa in Iowa City to learn about fossils and skeletons which were found scattered throughout the region, and then head on over to Devonian Fossil Gorge to see them for yourself! This part of Iowa was previously submerged deep below water during the Devonian period. After the water dried up, fossils of some unknown deep sea creatures were revealed, opening the eyes of scientists all around the world. Snake Alley has been called the crookedest and most unusual street in the country; it was designed to resemble European vineyard paths and its deep inclines and swerving curves is a huge attraction for rollerbladers and cyclists.
- Parks & Outdoor Activities — Have you ever heard of or tasted the Maytag Bleu Cheese and found it delectable? Well, now is a fabulous time to check out the farm itself! Maytag Dairy Farm is located approximately an hour away from Ottumwa city center and you will get to tour the facility and learn about some one of the best dairy products and cheeses. Of course, if you prefer hiking, biking or fishing, you can organize a trip out to Gray’s Lake Park where there are more than 2 miles worth of trail surrounding the scenic lake or head out to Greater Des Moines Botanical Center which is home to more than a thousand different varieties of plants from all around the country. It is uniquely one of the few places where you can visit both a tropical garden and a desert garden all in one place.
- Zoos & Aquariums — Young kids will always love a fun trip to Blank Park Zoo which has animals living in their natural habitat. After viewing and learning about each of the animals, kids will get to take on trail rides, hop on a carousel or ride camels around the zoo.
US Coachways Serves Most Major Cities in the Country, Including Ottumwa, IA!
US Coachways focuses on several important points in our effort to keep our customers happy - to bring them the best vehicle in their location at a budget-friendly pricing with the best customer service experience that they deserve. We will take you from point A to point B effortlessly, comfortably and affordably so, contact us today to find out more about our promotional packages and enjoy some discounts off the normal bus rental rates.